The fundamental aim of international internships is for students or recent graduates to obtain work experience which enhances their resumés before they join the job market, as well as for them to obtain work experience in another country, thus learning about different cultures, and increasing their real and functional language level.
The main Grants and Programs for working in international companies are:
These are internships of 2 to 3 months (in exceptional cases 2 months will be financed) in European companies, financed by the European Commission.
BECAS FARO – The application period is currently OPEN – For Information and Application Forms, please visit the following web page: https://www.becasfaro.es/home.php
Faro is a program promoted and sponsored by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports in Spain (hereinafter referred to as the Ministry of Education), whose purpose is to foment the mobility of students in their final years of studies from all Spanish universities by providing participation in educational internships for quality training in companies located in Europe, the United States and Canada, as well as in Spanish companies or multinational companies in Asia and the Pacific Rim. The ultimate objective of the program is to foment the transition from the educational system to the job market through improving competencies, aptitudes and attitudes.
Grants are awarded continuously for the duration of the program, with 31 December 2017 as the deadline to begin internships. The average duration of internships is six months.
To be able to request these grants, the requirements are the following:
- To be a student, Spanish or foreign, less than 30 years old, with legal residency in Spain and to be studying at a Spanish University
- To be enrolled in university studies which lead to receiving an Undergraduate Degree, Licenciate Degree, degree in Engineering, Technical Engineering, Architecture, or Technical Architecture, and to have passed a minimum of 70 percent of the credits necessary to obtain the degree. Additionally, students who are carrying out an end-of-studies final project established in study plans for officially recognized university studies, may also participate.
- To comply with the entry requirements and requirements to reside in the country of destinattion prior to the beginning of the stay.
- Not to have received previously a Grant for Mobility (Argo, Faro, Integrants), nor any other financial aid from the Ministry of Education with the same purpose or aim.
The economic stipend will vary according to the country of destination in which the internship will be carried out.
The VULCANUS program is aimed at students who are EU nationals in the third year of their degree or at Postgraduate level, from the branches of Science or Engineering, who are enrolled in a European university during the academic year in which the grant is requested. It involves carrying out an industrial internship in companies in Japan for a period of a year. Call proposal has been completed.
OAS Internship Program (Organization of American States)
TheOrganization of American States (OAS) is the main political forum of the Region which promotes and supports Democracy, Human Rights, Multi-Dimensional Security and Integral Development in the Americas. The OAS seeks to prevent conflicts and to bring political stability, social inclusion and prosperity to the region through dialogue and collective action. The internship program of the OAS is not remunerated.
What are the requirements to participate?
- To have a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 (American scale) or equivalent.
- To be proficient in two of the four official languages of the Organization: English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
- To fill out the electronic application form (www.oas.org/internships) along with:
- Two letters of recommendation (from professors or employers)
- Academic transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
ARGO is a mobility program funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports. The aim is to promote practical internships for Spanish University graduates in companies in Europe, USA, Canada and Spanish or Multinationals companies with office in Asia and Oceania. The call for applications will finish on 31st December 2017. Graduate applications and Internship offers from European companies deadline is 1st September 2017. The finalization and return deadline of the ARGO Interns is August 31th 2018.
To be eligible under the ARGO scheme you should meet the following pre-requisites:
- To hold a University Degree from any public or private Spanish university obtained in the past three years. To be under 35 years of age with legal residence in Spain.
- At the time of submission, it is necessary to have obtained one of the following qualifications: Graduate, Engineer, Architect, Technical Engineer, Technical Architect, Diploma, Degree or Masters Degree and demonstrate working knowledge of the language required by the company.
- To meet the visa and residence requirements, required by destination countries.
The average length of the internships is 6 months. All internships must start either the 1st of every month.
- (Theoretical and Practical Training and Internships in Spanish companies or international institutions)
The objective of the ICEX Grants (Institute of Foreign Trade/Commerce) is to train young professionals who specialize in providing companies with services for internationalization.
These programs, intended for university graduates, offer theoretical training in international trade and practical training in the different offices of the Foreign and Domestic Network of the Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade, in Spanish companies with international activity or in international institutions.
The European Solidarity Corps is the new European Union initiative which creates opportunities for young people to volunteer or work in projects in their own country or abroad that benefit communities and people around Europe.
You can register for the European Solidarity Corps when you are 17 years old, but you cannot start a project until you are over 18. European Solidarity Corps projects will be available to people up to the age of 30 years old.
Also you must be legally resident in or have the nationality of one of the European Union Member States, or of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
The European Solidarity Corps brings together two complementary strands:
· Volunteering activities. The volunteering strand offers young people the opportunity to carry out full-time voluntary service of between two and twelve months in another country. It builds on the European voluntary Service (which part of ERASMUS+) as well as other EU funding programmes.
· Occupational Activities: The occupational strand will provide young people with the opportunity of a job, traineeship or apprenticeship in a wide range of sectors which are engaged in solidarity-related activities, and which need highly motivated and socially-minded young people. Young people engaged through the Occupational part of the European Solidarity Corps for a job will have an employment contract and will be paid for the job they do in accordance with the respective national wage laws and collective agreements that are in force.
The Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs is a project of the EU that aims at helping new entrepreneurs to acquire relevant skills for managing an Enterprise by spending time with an experienced entrepreneur in another participating country. The program will improve their know-how and pursues cross-border transfers of knowledge and experience between entrepreneurs.
- Present a viable business plan
- Be a resident of one of the participating countries
Inter-American Development Bank
The Inter – American Development Bank provides students with the opportunity of learning about development work and corporate management at the IDB at their headquarters in Washington DC. The internships are paid and have a duration of 2 months. It is required for the students to:
- Be 25 years old or younger or undergraduate student; 31 years old or younger for graduate students.
- Be a citizen of one of the IBD member countries.
- Have no working experience.
Students will have to apply before the end of March and in case of being selected, the internships will take place from June 16th
to August 15th
Other European institutions, entities, organizations and offices which also organize periods of internship are:
INTERNSHIPS AT THE UNITED NATIONS:
The United Nations and its different agencies organize periods of internship, normally without remuneration and for university graduates. In the youth section on the United Nations website there is a full list of the different internship programs offered by the agencies of the United Nations. You may access this information by clicking here